Sunday, February 16, 2014

mollyMAKES Calligraphy

UPDATE: I can't believe how far I've come since starting this little calligraphy business. I am working on new, updated samples and will post them ASAP! Thanks so much for all of your support!

I've been dying to dive into the art of calligraphy for years now. I have always appreciated hand lettering and fonts, and thought that calligraphy was so absolutely beautiful. I have been practicing nonstop for about two weeks now, and have loved it so much. It's been so fun to be able to come home from my job using numbers all day and be creative.

I've had some interest from people about possibly using my new calligraphy skills for addressing invitations and offering custom work, so I whipped up some different styles this weekend for people to choose from. I haven't been doing this very long, so I'm sure these styles will change in the future, but there are plenty to choose from for now! There is everything from formal flourished script, to casual modern lowercase calligraphy.

Please, please leave a comment or e-mail me (link is to the right of this post) if you are interested in some calligraphy! Thank you also much for all of your love and support! :)

The names of the styles are a mixture of street names in Charleston, and the streets Joe and I grew up on. The names and addresses I used are just totally random ones I thought of when I was writing these out…there are some typos in there, but oh well!


|| Tradd ||

I absolutely love the contrast of mixing different fonts. This is a more casual style using lowercase letters in the script, and would be perfect for a more laid back event.





|| Marshall ||

Marshall is another style using mixed fonts, but is a little more formal than the Tradd style. A flourished  and traditional script is mixed with a more modern all uppercase print. This is a beautiful way to put all of the focus on the names.





|| Pinckney ||

These two examples show the Pinckney style - a very modern take on classic calligraphy. 



|| Almond ||

The Almond style is a very classic and traditional Copperplate style of calligraphy and is the perfect style for an elegant wedding or event.



|| Gadsden ||

If I had to choose a favorite, Gadsden might possibly be it.  I love the combination of a classic script written on a diagonal to make it more modern. Any of the other styles could definitely be done on a diagonal, too!




|| Lagare ||

This is another great classic style. It's simple, a little more modern than the Almond style, but just as elegant.




|| Wentworth ||

The Wentworth is the most formal of the styles and would make quite the statement on your invitations or envelopes. Perfect for a fancy wedding or party!







I am still working away at perfecting my craft, but would love to offer more things in the future. Stay tuned for updates!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I so envy your calligraphy skills! So beautiful- I can't decide which style I love best. I will definitely email you to learn more about possibly working with you for my wedding! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! My grandaddy lived on Gadsden Street downtown Charleston and I have so many memories there! :)

    ReplyDelete