Friday, September 24, 2010

Our Bedroom (Area)


Today, I'm linking up to one of my favorite blogs, Kelly's Korner, and showing our bedroom for Show Us Your Life Fridays!

Since moving into our little studio in New York, Joe and I like to joke and call our bedroom, living room, and dining room "areas." It sure would be nice to have some walls, but hey, it's what we're workin with for now!

Our bedroom area was the last part of the studio to get finished. I had a clear vision in my head before we moved of what I wanted it to look like, but once we got here, I was stumped. It quickly became our "catch all" space and took the back seat while I decorated the rest of our apartment. It had all the good bones, but I just couldn't figure out what I wanted to do.

I knew I wanted to use soothing, beachy colors to contrast with our black furniture, and I wanted to also use a lot of silver. Here was an inspiration board I made before we moved:



Once we were here, I changed a few of the accessories, but for the most part, everything else stayed the same. We weren't able to bring the black and white houndstooth chair because we didn't have room...so sad! I registered for all of our bedding at Pottery Barn, and got it all from my mom at my monogram shower. I absolutely love it, and is what the whole room is based off of!

In no way is the "area" complete, but I am finally happy enough with it to show pictures!

I found a picture of canvases painted with Beatles lyrics (picture in the inspiration board) and decided that I must have some of my own. I took a class on the Beatles in college, and have been obsessed ever since. I painted my own a little differently, and absolutely love how they turned out. They look great in the room!



My mom repainted my dresser and knobs before the move, but sadly, it was super damaged when we got it out of the truck when we got here. That will be my next project! I got the mirror (already painted silver) for $.99 at Salvation Army in Spartanburg, SC. Love it! This is my jewelry area; the silver box holds all of my earrings, the little box holds my rings, and my pretty necklaces are proudly on display on the wall. I love all of the fun colors!


Like I said before, I am so in love with our bedding. I knew that I wanted something neutral that we could use for years, and I had to have some monograms! The white duvet and shams are from the Grand Embroidered line at Pottery Barn. I love the fun "Keep Calm and Carry On" pillow, but I am still looking for the perfect pillow for the bed. It will do for now! The sheets are a turquoise and green paisley print and we found those at TJ Maxx for super cheap. I love me some bargain shopping!



Please excuse our awful bedside tables. I have actually had these since my freshman dorm room, and still haven't gotten rid of them. I am on the lookout for two small dressers to use instead of tables since space is a huge issue in our tiny studio. I found these lamps probably a year ago, and they were another jumping off point for the room. I have always loved mercury glass, so these lamps were perfect for the room and made me decide to use more silver.


I had one of my paintings over our bed, but I was never satisfied with it. I have been looking at every Marshall's for the mirror that John and Sherry used in their little girl's nursery. I found a HomeGoods near my job here in New York, and went there after a bad day for some retail therapy. I was SO, excited I found the mirror in white for $24.99 and knew it was the perfect thing to go over our bed.


Although it is far from being complete or perfect, our bedroom is ours and we love it! It is so nice to have it somewhat complete. This apartment is finally feeling like home!

9 comments:

  1. I just love your master bedroom...so calm and peaceful looking. We registered for the Grand Embroidered line at Pottery Barn for our wedding, but unfortunately did not receive any of it yet! I just love that line and hopefully I will get some one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a southern girl too!! I love your bedroom. Thanks for sharing. You were a beautiful bride. Your so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to steal your bedding! So pretty! A lot of the links have been dark rooms but I like the lighter rooms! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that bedding!

    Blessings~
    queenofsassysavings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Everything has been done perfectly - and really, the side tables do NOT look bad at all! The room is simply stunning, and I LOVE the mirror. I JUST saw the mirror on John and Sherry's blog today, so I couldn't believe seeing yours here! Enjoy that gorgeous space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Love Love it! You need to start an Etsy shop and sell those canvases!

    I want to see a picture of the whole apartment...I love studios! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the canvas you painted, the jewelry area and the keep calm pillow! Gorgeous bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your room is beautiful! I love the bedding too. And your canvas is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a beautiful job with the space! I currently have the same color scheme in my bedroom too. Again, great job decorating :) love it!

    ReplyDelete