Tuesday, June 18, 2013

From Our Kitchen To Yours!

From Our Kitchen To Yours

I am SO excited that Charlotte and Whitney are doing this recipe linkup! I had such a hard time as a newlywed (well honestly, I still do) coming up with meal plans to please the hubby that were on budget and also pretty healthy! I would be happy eating a sandwich, cereal, or a salad every night, but Joe doesn't eat much lunch, so he likes big dinners! Anyway, after 3 years, I've found a few favorites that are in pretty regular rotation, but I'm always excited to find new things to try! 

My all time favorite recipe:


My mom found a recipe for Shrimp and Grits in Cooking Light that is almost like the version from our favorite restaurant in Simpsonville, Stella's Southern Bistro. By the way, if you live anywhere near Simpsonville or Greenville, SC; you absolutely have to go there and order the Shrimp and Grits (well, everything they have there is heavenly!)

Here is the recipe from Cooking Light (changes I made are in parentheses):

The BEST Shrimp and Grits Ever

Ingredients

* 3 cups low-fat milk
* 1 cup water
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
* 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
* 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
* 4 slices applewood-smoked bacon (I like a lot of bacon so I used 6)
* 1 pound peeled, deveined large shrimp
* 1 cup thinly vertically sliced white onion
* 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
* 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
* 1/8 teaspoon ground or crushed red pepper (I omitted both the pepper sauce and red pepper because I'm a wimp!)
* 1/4 cup green onion strips


Preparation

1. Combine milk, water, butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer; gradually add grits, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat to medium; cook 4 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cheese.

2. While grits cook, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings; crumble bacon. Add shrimp to drippings in pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove shrimp from pan. Add white onion to pan; sauté 1 minute. Stir in bacon, tomatoes, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper; sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp, pepper sauce, and red pepper; cook 1 minute or until shrimp are heated. Serve over grits; sprinkle with green onions.







Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. YUM! Thank you for sharing this!!!! It looks sooooooo good! Cant wait to try! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you linked up with us! This looks amazing and my parents actually live right near there! I'll have to go try it when I visit. :)

    ReplyDelete